It’s a complete meal in burger form. So delicious – but make sure you have napkins on hand!!
Let me just sit back and look at this photo again. I want to re-live this sandwich.
Oh it was so good!
Slices of roast chicken piled on a homemade brioche roll with fried mushrooms, creamy-cheesy garlic mushroom sauce, crispy bacon and leaves of baby spinach.
I may have also made this one step naughtier, by lightly toasting the inside of the brioche, and then finishing it off in the pan with the leftover bacon fat.
Sometimes you’ve just got to finish off your toast in bacon fat.
I’m reasonably sure that the happy endorphins released when you bite into bacon-fat-toast cancel out the cholesterol. Don’t they?
My theory falls within the same gastronomic phenomenon area as the one that says ‘having an extra shot of espresso in your latte raises your metabolism enough to cancel out the calories in the milk’ and ‘you can eat a whole box of chocolates in bed, for breakfast, on your birthday – and you won’t feel sick and fat when you finally get up’.
Oh, did I tell you it’s my birthday today and I’m typing this in bed alongside my box of chocolates…
Yes, I’m 36 today. I glumly mentioned to Chris that I’m now closer to 40 than 30, and he helpfully pointed out that I’ve been closer to 40 since the day after my 35th birthday. Whilst I love him dearly, I do so want to punch him sometimes.
He quickly made up for it by TOTALLY SPOILING ME today. Amongst my pile of presents was a new bike!!
Now that Lewis – my youngest – is riding well on his two-wheeler, it was time for me to get riding again (I haven’t owned a bike for about 5 years) – so I can’t wait to go out for some family bike rides.
Chris also bought me a beautiful set of Damascus steel chef’s knives!!
I spotted them on a knife skills course I went on last month, and have been pining for them since, but they were just too expensive.
So now I have 5 ridiculously sharp knives for every cutting job in the kitchen (and the A&E department on standby).
Ok, I need to stop talking before I actually do mindlessly eat this whole box of chocolates.
and then the rest of the recipe for these burgers is below:
ROAST CHICKEN & CREAMY GARLIC MUSHROOM BURGER
PREP TIME COOK TIME 20 mins |TOTAL TIME 35 mins
- 4 brioche burger rolls (if you want to make them yourself
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 8 medium mushrooms (chestnut or mini portabella are good), sliced
- good pinch of salt and pepper
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon (smoked or unsmoked – depending on your preference), cut in half widthways
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6tbsp double (full fat) cream
- 100g/1 cup strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 large handful of baby spinach leaves (about 25g)
- 2 large, well seasoned, roasted chicken breasts, sliced (skin left on) – I like to roast a whole chicken and use the breasts for this, and then the rest of the meat for soup like this
- Roast Chicken on Homemade brioche with creamy garlic mushroom sauce, crispy bacon and spinach. The best sandwich. Ever.